- ▪ I. pending pend‧ing 1 [ˈpendɪŋ] preposition formalwhile waiting for something, or until something happens:
• A decision has been delayed pending further inquiries.[m0] ▪ II. pending pending 2 adjective1. formal not yet decided or settled:
• Two lawsuits remain pending against the company.
• If a company has applied for a patent, it can put "patent pending " on the product it wants to patent.2. formal something that is pending is going to happen soon:
• The bank said its poor performance would not affect its pending merger.3. pending file/tray OFFICE a place for putting papers, letters etc that have not yet been dealt with:
• The messages have all been placed in his pending file.
* * *Ⅰ.pending UK US /ˈpendɪŋ/ adjective FORMAL► waiting to be decided or approved: »
The appeal is still pending.► waiting to happen: pending case/deal/lawsuit »
His representative was not free to comment on the pending case.Ⅱ.pending UK US /ˈpendɪŋ/ preposition FORMAL► while waiting for something to happen or be decided: »
Shares in the internet group were suspended at 0.14p, pending an announcement about the proposed merger.
Financial and business terms. 2012.